Monday 22 April 2013

More on Sopek


Mathambo’s musical style is also abstract and dance inspired. His beats are mixes of western classics and innovative African sounds. For instance, his hit single Control is a remake of Joy Division‘s hit, She’s Lost Control.
Moreover, his first album entitled, “Mshini Wam” is derived from Umshini wami, (my Machine) also known as Awuleth’ Umshini Wami (Bring me my machine gun). It is a popular Zulu language “struggle song” used formerly by members of Umkhonto we Sizwe, the military wing of the African National Congress during the struggle against Apartheid in South Africa. 

Yet, Mathambo transforms the meaning of “My Machine” into his way of expressing a new wave of African electronic music.
Recently Spoek Mathambo had a 2page article on the magazine Hype and has released a new album which is hitting the under ground market hard, he is the talk of the under ground world.


P. S Please do follow my blog


No comments:

Post a Comment